Coffin, Laurence, Jr
- United States
Laurence Coffin (+)
- Place Of Employment:
- Coffin & Coffin
- B.S. in Horticulture, Virginia Polytechnic Institute; M.L.A. in Landscape Architecture, Harvard University
- American Society of Landscape Architects, AICP, FASLA, Michigan State University & The Catholic University of America- Retired Professor
- Urban design, landscape architecture, administration, site planning, Land Use Planning projects
- AIA Award, won Australian International Competition for a Landscape Architectural Professional designer
- Public Speaking:
- Teaching as an Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture at Michigan State University and as Adjunct Associate Professor of Architecture in Urban Design at the Catholic University
- Keys To Success:
- Enjoy your work
- Hobbies/ Interests:
- Travel, photogrophy
- Inspirational Motto:
- The beauties and wonders of nature
Laurence Coffin, Jr. is a Senior Landscape Architect and partner of Coffin and Coffin, a landscape architecture firm based in Fort Washington, Maryland. Mr. Coffin has six decades of experience in his field, and during that time he has orchestrated the construction of countless public works, parks, urban renewal projects, and gardens. Born in Canada to American parents, Mr. Coffin has a B.S. in Horticulture from Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and an M.L.A. in Landscape Architecture from the Harvard Graduate School of Design. After college, he served in occupied Japan with the U.S. Army during World War II, retiring in 1948. He also served in the Merchant Marines, working his way to Russian occupied Danzig (now known as Gdańsk), Poland.
Outside of Coffin and Coffin, Mr. Coffin is also a retired professor. He served as Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture at Michigan State University and Adjunct Associate Professor of Architecture and Urban Design at the Catholic University of America. Throughout his teaching career he continued to do conventional architectural work through his firm, but he relished training the next generation of landscape architects. Mr. Coffin feels a deep sense of responsibility for preserving our environment and landscape for future generations to enjoy and appreciate, as he does. If there is one thing he would like to change for the better through his work, it is the public’s apathy towards the common good, especially in terms of the environment.
Mr. Coffin credits his success to knowledge and hard work, with a helping hand from good timing, which he feels played a subtle but significant part in the direction of his career. He also considers himself fortunate to be able to work both indoors and outdoors with the possibility of working in exotic locales. Over the years, Mr. Coffin has worked for an architectural firm in Iceland for 18 months, spent three months in Alaska working on a geophysical exploration project, and was appointed a GS12 Recreation Research Specialist for the Bureau of Recreation at the Department of the Interior. He has also planned projects for the Japanese, German, Australian, and American governments, and designed urban renewal project in many major American cities. This combines well with his recreational interests, photography, travel, and running.
There are no reviews at the moment
Please login to view all listing details!